Re: [squid-users] Squid Behaving funny...

From: Neil A. Hillard <hillardn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:02:54 +0100

Hi,

John Walubengo wrote:
> My RH9 box has two interfaces to the internet (one for
> students the other for staff). In the last two days, my
> squid has been failing by simply closing off one of the
> (staff) interfaces!

> And then after some hours both interfaces then suddenly
> work...only for the staff to fail again after some hours!
> Other services (mail, web, ftp) on the same box continue
> working except that I when I try to ssh into the box I find
> that 'connection is refused'. I have removed the firewall
> (service iptables stop) but these symptoms keep recurring
> irrespective of the firewall status. What could be the
> problem?

Are you certain that there isn't another box on the network with the
same IP address - that could cause these problems.

When it's refusing ssh connections try running nmap -O against it to
find out what OS, etc. it's running. Also check syslog to see if there
are any messages about duplicate addresses.

HTH,

                                Neil.

--
Neil Hillard                    hillardn@whl.co.uk