Re: [squid-users] Which the best OS for Squid?

From: <trainier@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:18:38 -0400

> > kalproxy:/var/log/squid # free -m
> > total used free shared buffers cached
> > Mem: 1007 995 12 0 4 33
> > -/+ buffers/cache: 957 50
> > Swap: 1027 18 1008

> I call this "running low on memory". I recommeng adding more RAM. If you
> can't, first limit memory_pools_size, then you probably should decrease
> cache_mem a bit (32-16-8MB)

Actually, -/+ buffers/cache is generally only around 4-500 used. Not
terrible. My cache_mem is currently set to "8".
Is there a FAQ that explains memory pools and how to use them?

Tim Rainier
Information Services, Kalsec, INC
trainier@kalsec.com

Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk> wrote on 10/13/2005 03:44:37
AM:

> On 12.10 16:57, trainier@kalsec.com wrote:
> > > On a side-note. Your 4x33 are set up as RAID or LVM?
> > > neither one is a good idea.
> > > http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-3.html#ss3.11
> >
> > Indeed. I was making sure he wasn't raiding his squid cache. :-)
> >
> > >if your computes has enough of memory left for metadata cache (inodes
and
> > >directories where squid data are left), it's OK. if not, you have
huge
> > >performance bottleneck here (and with only 50 MB of cache_mem, buy
more
> > >memory).
> >
> > kalproxy:/var/log/squid # free -m
> > total used free shared buffers cached
> > Mem: 1007 995 12 0 4 33
> > -/+ buffers/cache: 957 50
> > Swap: 1027 18 1008
>
> I call this "running low on memory". I recommeng adding more RAM. If you
> can't, first limit memory_pools_size, then you probably should decrease
> cache_mem a bit (32-16-8MB)
>
> --
> Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
> - Have you got anything without Spam in it?
> - Well, there's Spam egg sausage and Spam, that's not got much Spam in
it.