Re: [squid-users] Which the best OS for Squid?

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:34:49 +0200

On 13.10 10:18, trainier@kalsec.com wrote:
> > > kalproxy:/var/log/squid # free -m
> > > total used free shared buffers cached
> > > Mem: 1007 995 12 0 4 33
> > > -/+ buffers/cache: 957 50
> > > Swap: 1027 18 1008
>
> > I call this "running low on memory". I recommeng adding more RAM. If you
> > can't, first limit memory_pools_size, then you probably should decrease
> > cache_mem a bit (32-16-8MB)
>
> Actually, -/+ buffers/cache is generally only around 4-500 used. Not
> terrible.

the example above shows that all RAM is used up and only few MB is left for
cache. If the situation is usually different

> My cache_mem is currently set to "8".

I have 128MB and nice memory hit ratio. I had 256MB and tried to lower it
for lower memory usage, now I'm thinking about enlarging it a bit :)

It all depends on amount of RAM usually available. if the example above
happens more often, do not set up squid to eat more memory (or better, buy
512MB of RAM and set cache_mem 128 MB)

> Is there a FAQ that explains memory pools and how to use them?

config file explains enough imho. I set up 64MB, default 5MB or 50 MB
in example is OK. if you have default setting, it's ok.

"Where do you want to go to die?" [Microsoft]