Re: [squid-users] parent question

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:42:22 +0200

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Hendrik Voigtländer wrote:
>
>> Hmm, I still dont get why the child displays the error page when the
>> parents fails to resolve. I think I will use the workaround with the
>> line monitoring.
>

> Probably the "wrong" status code is returned by the parent in this
> situation, or it takes too long. The child only retries if there is time
> left before the request times out..

Ah. So if I use exactly the same build with same time out value on all
squid this would explain this behaviour? Should I perhaps reduce timeout
values on the parents?

>> Improving the hit ratio is why I want to do this. Are there any best
>> practices, e.g. icp?
>

> Depends on the number of caches you have, and how you distribute the
> clients among the caches..

2 child caches serving users, client distribution bases on network
segments via proxy.pac including failover if one child goes down.
The childs do not know each other.

>> I dont think this will improve hit ratios as the the parents are
>> non-caching ( to slow - ancient Compaq Proliant 1500's ) but this will
>> IMHO allow load-balancing without the drawback of using round-robin
>> parents.
>> I have seen trouble with some webpages as both parents have different
>> IP'd due to the DSL connection (session based stuff).
>

> CARP will still show the same symtoms. CARP is sticky per complete URL,
> not just the host part.

Just my luck :-)

Regards, Hendrik Voigtländer