[squid-users] How do I use squid to proxy internal web servers to external users

From: Anwar <anwar.ahmad@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 23:58:27 +0800

  Hi Guys,

I need help confiugring Squid with this configuration.

I have 2 app server
<http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Linux/Linux_Administration/Q_21594094.html#>
that outputs web content
<http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Linux/Linux_Administration/Q_21594094.html#>
onto their local web services. Their Win2K
<http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Linux/Linux_Administration/Q_21594094.html#>
server running IIS. We don't want these server on DMZ or accesible over
internet.

I want to put a proxy server
<http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Linux/Linux_Administration/Q_21594094.html#>
where people access this server which would then grab data from the
other two web/app server so that this proxy server can be put on DMZ
while the other two app server remain in LAN.

Currently I'm using Debian 3.1 with squid. I've got little knowledge of
squid. I got it working as normal proxy web cache
<http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Linux/Linux_Administration/Q_21594094.html#>.
Lan users use it as cache to access internet that's cached through
squid. But what I want to do seem to be the opposite of what squid does
normally. letting people on the internet access squid as a proxy to web
content on the LAN without exposing LAN servers.

My main problem is what I want to achieve. I don't actually want to
filter/proxy my LAN users. I need some way to proxy my to local
webservers on to another server that I can put into DMZ.

I have 2 webservers running Win2K server that I don't dare put into DMZ.
But I need they're content accessible by people on the internet.
Basically I'd like to configure the proxy to allow external users to
acces the web content through a proxy. Bascially the idea is that when
someone on the Internet access the proxy server, the proxy server goes
out and grabs the webcontent from the internal webserver and gives it to
the external user. Is this possible?

I was informed I need to use apache for this in conjunction with squid.
Basically squid grabs the webcontent and apache displays it. I really
have no idea how to do this....

Any ideas? Can squid do this or am I going about things wrongly?