RE: [squid-users] How do I use squid to proxy internal web servers to external users

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:51:28 -0800

What you are looking for is called HTTP Acceleration. See http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-20.html for some good information.

> I want to put a proxy server
> <http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Linux/Linux
> _Administration/Q_21594094.html#>
> where people access this server which would then grab data from the
> other two web/app server so that this proxy server can be put on DMZ
> while the other two app server remain in LAN.
>
> Currently I'm using Debian 3.1 with squid. I've got little
> knowledge of
> squid. I got it working as normal proxy web cache
> <http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Linux/Linux
> _Administration/Q_21594094.html#>.
> Lan users use it as cache to access internet that's cached through
> squid. But what I want to do seem to be the opposite of what
> squid does
> normally. letting people on the internet access squid as a
> proxy to web
> content on the LAN without exposing LAN servers.
>
> My main problem is what I want to achieve. I don't actually want to
> filter/proxy my LAN users. I need some way to proxy my to local
> webservers on to another server that I can put into DMZ.

Said server in the DMZ will need to be able to access your webservers irrespective of what you use.

> I have 2 webservers running Win2K server that I don't dare
> put into DMZ.
> But I need they're content accessible by people on the internet.
> Basically I'd like to configure the proxy to allow external users to
> acces the web content through a proxy. Bascially the idea is
> that when
> someone on the Internet access the proxy server, the proxy
> server goes
> out and grabs the webcontent from the internal webserver and
> gives it to
> the external user. Is this possible?
>
> I was informed I need to use apache for this in conjunction
> with squid.
> Basically squid grabs the webcontent and apache displays it. I really
> have no idea how to do this....

Apache should not be needed in this instance (or could be used in place of Squid via mod_proxy).

> Any ideas? Can squid do this or am I going about things wrongly?

Chris