Re: [squid-users] New Squid Installation

From: Tim Neto <tneto@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:13:33 -0400

One thought to resolve the single threading of Squid, use a virtual
machine software/system like VMware. The virtual machine software
would handle the processor allocation. The separate virtual machined
Squid servers could run a in a shared cache setup. I'm considering the
virtual machining of my Squid servers. My RH AS 3.1 Squid server on a
Dell PE 1650 (1.13 GHz PIII) is only using 10 - 15 percent load for 750
users.. I could run two or three virtual machined server instances and
get 60 to 80 percent load. The idea is to get a higher ROI for the
server hardware.

I suspect even with your 3000 users, you will only get a 30 to 40
percent CPU load on the dual XEON boxes.

Timothy E. Neto
 Computer Systems Engineer Komatsu Canada Limited
 Ph#: 905-625-6292 x265 1725B Sismet Road
 Fax: 905-625-6348 Mississauga, Canada
 E-Mail: tneto@komatsu.ca L4W 1P9