Re: [squid-users] Installation Path

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:05:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Bonnici Daniel wrote:

> I installed Fedora Core 4 and then I installed squid 2.5rc12. The path for the
> squid.conf is /usr/local/squid/etc/squid.conf but I noticed that the squid
> that came with FC is under /etc/squid/squid.conf. How can I overwrite the squid
> that came with FC? Even I installed webmin and the defaults seems to point to
> the squid that FC came with. I know that I can change the paths but I would
> like to do it in the proper way..

The best way to keep everything compatible is to rebuild the RPM based on
the new Squid version. Just grab the latest Fedora development SRPM,
install it then edit /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/squid.spec to suit your needs
and finally rpmbuild -ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/squid.spec to build the new
RPM.

Note: It is adviceable to use a release number of 0.something for
homebrewed temporary upgrades. This way you won't collide too much with a
later official upgrade.