Re: [squid-users] can't get to certain sites through proxy

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:31:31 +0200

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 20:13, trainier@kalsec.com wrote:
> Second, you appear to be trying to accel an http server. Are you doing
> this on purpose?
> This is NOT proxying as you see it. This is used to speed up web
> servers and should not be used.

Many people think differently. You would be surprised how many proxy admins
believe that interception caching is all there is. Most admins don't have
proper control of their network and thus don't control the proxy settings
at their browsers.

However I don't recommend using interception caching either as it has the
usual number of drawbacks.

> Also, what happend to your 'http_access deny all' line? You don't
> really want anyone from anywhere to be
> able to use your proxy do you? If so, can you save me the trouble of
> hunting you down and give your IP
> address so I can toss it into the blacklist? :-)

Since the OP runs it as a forward proxy it's only fair to assume that the
proxy is running behind a firewall.

> Please get a better understanding of how ACLs work before you drop a
> proxy device out there. That "http_access deny all" line
> is VERY important.

Yes, it definitely is. But it doesn't create the problem the OP seems to
have.

Sorry to be smartassing.

 Christoph

--