Re: [squid-users] Problem with FC3 and Squid, Dies by itself.

From: John R. Van Lanen, Network Operations - TCCSA <VANLANEN@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:32:18 -0400 (EDT)

> Hello, after all my SO is Fedora Core 3, and my Squid stable version is Version 2.5.STABLE11

> I have a problem in running squid. The squid dies by itself. The 'squid' status is as follows

> Squid dead but pid file exists
> Squid ERROR: Could not send signal 0 to process <pid>(n) no such process

> If we start the 'squid' again, everthing works fine but squid dies again on its own after sometime.
> something like this:

> [root@gateway ~]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/squid restart
> Stopping squid: [FAILED]
> Starting squid: [ OK ]

> Some people had this problem, but we are unable to solve this using the solution in mail archives.

> Can anyone please help?

> Thanks in advance.

> ATTe
> Damián Mantelli
> Argentina

I've seen this with stable3.6 squid from redhat, I installed the stand alone
version of stable10 from squid.org, this seemed to fix it. Did you recently
update some rpm's from redhat? We have a theory that one of the updates
breaks squid. I'll be interested to know if someone else knows how to fix
this.

| John R. Van Lanen, Manager of Network Operations Voice: (330) 264-6047 |
| Tri-County Computer Services Association (TCCSA) Fax: (330) 264-5703 |
| "Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, E-mail:vanlanen@TCCSA.NET|
| because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup" |