Re: [squid-users] transparent proxy with authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 03:30:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Chin Kah Yi wrote:

> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-17.html#ss17.16 that
> authentication does not work with wccp. And I read somewhere in squid 3
> development site that there is an intention to enable such possibility,
> I like to know if this is true.

You have misunderstood the Squid-3 notes.

What is enabled in Squid-3 is authentication in reverse proxies. This was
not easily done in Squid-2.5 due to conflicts with the transparent proxy
support (i.e. WCCP).

> Don't mind me being asking again - but why was authentication designed
> not to work with wccp? If transparent proxy design is required together
> with authentication, is there any alternative I could work on?

It is not a matter of authentication to not be designed for working with
WCCP. The issue is WCCP not being designed to work with the TCP/IP
specifications.

When you bend the rules such as is done when using WCCP or other
transparent interception of traffic certain things will and can not work.
Proxy authentication is one such thing.

> (2) antivirus and content filtering
> In addition to authentication, the other requirement is to provide
> content filtering to wccp squid. The content filtering includes
> antivirus scanning for web content as well as other web content
> filtering. There is web content filtering from Trendmicro and other
> brands. I just wish to know how to get it to forward such content from
> squid to these software for scanning before squid passing the webpages
> back to users.

Just set up a parent peering relation.