[squid-users] transparent proxy with authentication

From: Chin Kah Yi <kahyi@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:36:51 +0800

Dearest squid expert out there,

I have had squid boxes running on wccp with cisco router for my
customer. There are 2 new requirements lately:

(1) authentication with wccp
There comes a new requirement from my customer that every user should
be authenticated before being allowed to browse the internet. The
purpose is to provide logs showing which uid has browsed to which
websites on shared computers (like those in computer labs or cybercafe).

I understand from
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-17.html#ss17.16 that
authentication does not work with wccp. And I read somewhere in squid 3
development site that there is an intention to enable such possibility,
I like to know if this is true.

Don't mind me being asking again - but why was authentication designed
not to work with wccp? If transparent proxy design is required together
with authentication, is there any alternative I could work on?

(2) antivirus and content filtering
In addition to authentication, the other requirement is to provide
content filtering to wccp squid. The content filtering includes
antivirus scanning for web content as well as other web content
filtering. There is web content filtering from Trendmicro and other
brands. I just wish to know how to get it to forward such content from
squid to these software for scanning before squid passing the webpages
back to users.

Thanks heaps in advance for any advice.

Kah Yi