Re: [squid-users] mem use and cache settings seems to be broke on 12

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 20:30:11 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, H wrote:

> I know but this is regarding objects which would be served by the cache_peer
> but not for ALL request, right?

By default nearly all cacheable requests gets sent via a parent if one is
defined, answering on ICP and not forbidden by always_direct..

> May be I am wrong but "objects fetched from from this cache should not be
> saved locally" is what I really want but does not mean that NO objects should
> not be saved locally any more.

No, only objects fetched from that peer.

> ok, but when I was monitoring I still had hundreds of connections dierctly to
> remote servers not fetching from the parent. At least this objects should be
> saved in cache_dir or on memory or not?

The absolute majority if these is most likely uncacheable.

> also I am suprised by that no-proxy then is not only affecting cache_dir
> but also objects cached in RAM, right?

Right.

> If so probably a addicional explanation in squid.conf.sample would do
> good because saved locally IMO is common sense for saving to disk but
> not meant to mean hold in RAM also

There is not really a destinction in Squid. Either an object is cacheable
or not. If cacheable you may get a copy in ram if you are lucky, and
most likely a copy of disk..