[squid-users] Re: email

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 14:27:54 -0500

azeem ahmad wrote:

> i want to block my users from any kind of email. is it possible. bcuz if i
> block smtp/pop3 then there are so many web based mail servers like
> msn/yahoo. and if i block http then it means i have blocked everything on
> my network. i like to block every kind of email plz tell me how can i do
> that.

Don't allow any traffic out from your network.

Since that likely isn't a viable option, your best bet is to block common
email ports using a packet filter (which has nothing to do with Squid),
then use Squid acls to block the most popular webmail services.

Since it isn't feasible to block the rest, you need to audit usage.
Configure Squid to use authentication, then inform your users that
web-based email is prohibited and Internet access is monitored. Audit your
Squid logs, and punish violators according to your policy.

Adam