Re: [squid-users] "Binding" IP address to username

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:19:55 +0100

On 09.11 13:45, Pieter De Wit wrote:
> I would like to know how I can "bind" an IP address to a username in
> squid. So let's say I have a user called user1 and a machine on IP
> 1.2.3.4. I would like squid to log any requests that come from 1.2.3.4 as
> if the user user1 logged in.

Why? do you mean this as form of weak user authentication?

You probably can turn on log_fwdn and set up hosts file where you define
each ip as "username" so in "IP" field you'll have usernames.

also, you can parse log files after rotation and replace IPs with users, or
change ident fields to user, accorging to IP connected. Simple awk/perl
script can do that.

The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.