Re: [squid-users] Squid authentication through LDAP

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:49:57 +0100

On Monday 14 November 2005 12:29, wlagmay@yanbulink.net wrote:
> I was able to setup squid with basic_ncsa authentication, the only
> problem I'm encountering with basic_ncsa, everytime a user opens a new
> browser the squid always requires a username and password.

That's the way authentication works. The credentials are only kept while
one browser window is open. If you close your browser and open it again it
does not know your login credentials any longer and has to ask again.

> Im just wondering if this problem will be solve by LDAP authentication?

No. Unless you have Windows clients and have the possibility to use NTLM
authentication you will always have to authenticate. In the case of NTLM
this is done by passing through your login credentials.

> Also can you anybody redirect me to the most complete and simple
> installation and configuration site of LDAP?

LDAP is just a protocol. You need a backend directory that you query
through LDAP. If you don't have such a directory yet then take a look at
OpenLDAP.

Also see: http://workaround.org/moin/SquidLdap

 Christoph

--