re: [squid-users] identification without login

From: bernhard wiz <wiz@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 21:58:17 +0100

On Fri, 14 Nov 2005, henrik nordstrom wrote:

> Users identifying themselves by which proxy name they have configured in
> their browser?

exactly.

> The proxy can not know what name the client used to resolve the address of
> the proxy. All the proxy knows is which IP address (and port) the client
> connection was accepted on. It can do a reverse-lookup to find what single
> host name is registered in the DNS reverse zone for that IP, but I do not
> think this will help you much.

would it works if the subdomains for the proxy are listed in the
zone-file of the dns-server?

imho it is possible to make virtual hosts with apache for every single
subdomain. i don't know if it slows down the apache server alot if i
have 1000 different virtual hosts in my config, but it seems to be the
only way to identify my proxy-users without authentification or on the
basis of different ports.
i thought there could be a more efficiently way to do this with squid.

--
lg bernhard