Re: [squid-users] identification without login

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:15:12 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, bernhard wiz wrote:

> i have an apache-proxy and want to use squid in front of this proxy to
> make something like an user identification based on the
> server domain name.

What you mean exacly?

> my plan is the following: squid is reachable under the domain
> *.proxy.domain.ch. every proxy-user integrates his user-id in the name
> of the server domain name of my proxy when he uses the proxy (in the
> style of: user-id.proxy.domain.ch).
>
> squid then should use this user-id as authentification name for the
> apache-proxy.

Users identifying themselves by which proxy name they have configured in
their browser?

The domain name set in the proxy settings of the clients is only used by
the client to find the address of the proxy. It is never transmitted on
the wire to the proxy.

The proxy can not know what name the client used to resolve the address of
the proxy. All the proxy knows is which IP address (and port) the client
connection was accepted on. It can do a reverse-lookup to find what single
host name is registered in the DNS reverse zone for that IP, but I do not
think this will help you much.