Re: [squid-users] max resource usgae

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:33:10 +0100

On 15.11 14:08, Houssam Melhem wrote:
> I have 10 SCSI Hard disks each 73GB and 8GB of RAM

I suppose you have 64bit CPU and OS...

> PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
> 17962 squid 18 0 2836m 2.3g 3664 R 97.6 28.9 4035:06 squid

...looks so

> I configured squid to use 28 GB on each
>
> cache_mem 512 MB
> cache_dir aufs /cache1/ 28000 32 256
> cache_dir aufs /cache2/ 28000 32 256
> cache_dir aufs /cache3/ 28000 32 256
> cache_dir aufs /cache4/ 28000 32 256
> cache_dir aufs /cache5/ 28000 32 256
> cache_dir aufs /cache6/ 28000 32 256
> cache_dir aufs /cache7/ 28000 32 256
> cache_dir aufs /cache8/ 28000 32 256
> cache_dir aufs /cache9/ 28000 32 256
> cache_dir aufs /cache10/ 28000 32 256

I'd use '64 256'

> When I increase ecach cache dir size squid process takes more memory
> and cpu becomes more busy, this leads to a full system crash (not
> immediatelly but after a while more than 5 days), I could not figure
> out the real source of this crash bu it is a kernel panic and the
> squid process ID is mentioned in the error messages on screen

the "full system crash" will probably be problem of your OS or bad HW. OS
should not crash unless you have bad hardware. What errors are displayed
when crash happens?

> Can I take advantage of the remaining disk space on each Hard Disk?
> Do I need more RAM?
>
> Or squid just can not handle this big amount of Resoures (HD and RAM)?

Have you read Squid FAQ, the part about memory usage? That should explain
much to you. http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-8.html

I think you can safely use 50GB on each cache_dir, files up to 64MB (with
LFUDA replacement policy) and squid should fit to 8GB of memory w/o any
problem.

Spam = (S)tupid (P)eople's (A)dvertising (M)ethod