Re: [squid-users] Config Issues

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 20:34:47 +0100

On Monday 05 December 2005 18:00, Simon Nunn wrote:
> I'm in need of assistance and hope you can help. I have been using
> Squid 2.5.STABLE12, well, when I say "using" I mean "...swearing at...".
>
> Generally the config is fine but I'd like to nail it down a bit more by
> using ncsa_auth.
>
> I have tried to use the config from a 2.4 STABLE6 box I use elsewhere.
> But have had little success.
>
> I've been permuting the conf to fine exactly what it's issue is and have
> it down to:
> "acl users proxy_auth REQUIRED"
>
> which precedes:
> "authenticate_program /usr/lib/squid/ncsa_auth
> /etc/squid/proxy_users"
>
> The error produced is:
> "The connection was refused when attempting to contact the proxy
> server you have configured. Please check your proxy settings and try
> again."

I assume you have correct proxy setting in your browser.

> It's on an IPCop install. I've had to learn to use linux just to get
> this far so I could be missing something really obvious.

To me it sounds like the Squid is not running. I am not familiar with IPCop
so I can just guess. If you can login then try a "ps ax | grep squid" and
see if you have any running instances of Squid. If you do then it's
probably a network problem. If you do not then you may want to look at the
cache.log (probably somewhere near /var/log/squid/cache.log) - there is
likely more information why it couldn't start up.

Also see if you can run "/usr/lib/squid/ncsa_auth /etc/squid/proxy_users"
on the console.

> This email transmission may contain confidential [...]

<cough> ;)

 Christoph

--
~