[squid-users] Proxy Monitoring Question

From: Benedek Frank <benedek.frank@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 15:08:40 +0100

Dear Squid Users and Admins,

This is my first post, if I ask something outrageously stupid, please
forgive me. I did read the FAQ, and all other things I could think of,
and I managed to get the Proxy up and running. It works great, and
thanks for the nice application.

I am a Windows System admin, and I figured I would use Linux for the
Proxy so that I can have a little adventure, besides all the fancy GUI
windows apps. I installed it on Debian, and I configured it, and it
reads all my inquires to the Web just fine. I have caching disabled,
this isn't why I installed the Proxy, but rather for monitoring. This is
where my question comes in. I initially wanted to disable access via the
NetScreen firewall to all users on a block of IP's, where the restricted
users would go to, so they could only browse through the proxy,
therefore they are monitored. This is all nice, just my boss would like
to know who tries to attempt File Sharing, etc. I said to him, that
Squid might only be able to monitor Web Secured Web, and FTP traffic,
but I hope I am wrong. I am here to ask the following:

Is there any way I can have Squid take over kind of like a gateway, so
that all traffic goes through it, and passes it to the Netscreen?

If you have any ideas of what would be the greatest monitoring app I
could use, which would show me details by IP addresses, of what is being
accessed, downloaded, and by whom?

Thanks for all help,

Ben