[squid-users] squid cache delay?

From: Dave <dmehler26@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:50:48 -0500

Hello,
    I've got a recurring problem with squid. I'm running it on a freebsd6
box installed from the latest port. Approximately every 3 to 4 days internet
access slows to a crawl, and on the squid box squid processes are up in cpu
time. Additionally whenever a lan machine requests a page the squid box's
hard disk spins up and goes crazy for about 30 seconds, then when it's done
the page is finally served. I'm assuming it has something to do with the
squid cache setup i'm running, which is only a single directory, a squid -k
reconfigure relieves the problem. My squid.conf file has this:
cache_dir ufs /usr/local/squid/cache 100 16 256
I am thinking about increasing these values, would a different cache storage
type help? If i add another cache directory would this problem reoccur?
Thanks.
Dave.