Re: [squid-users] I want to configure squid with NIC mac address authentication.

From: Jakob Curdes <jc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:27:00 +0100

>>Hello All!
>>
>>I have installed squid on my Pc, it working fine. now
>>I want to implement ACL using PC's NIC Mac address
>>authentication. only these users can access internet
>>whom I have accessed as a allow and all other users
>>deny internet access.

Do not rely on the MAC address too much, nowaday it is very easy to
change the MAC address of packets. In linux it's just one line and in
Windows there are a lot of "hlpers" that are able to rewrite the mac
address on outgoing packets. It would only help if the users have a
limited account on the workstations and no access to admin accounts -
but then you could as well lock down the ip address.

Yours,
Jakob Curdes