[squid-users] ESI request forwarding does not work?

From: Stefan Palme <kleiner@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 10:18:44 +0100

Hello,

I have a very simple ESI configuration using squid in front of
a Zope server. Incoming client requests are rewritten using a
redirector.

When I submit a client request from a browser I get an error message
from squid:

While trying to retrieve the URL:
http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/devel:80/plone/VirtualHostRoot/test.html

The following error was encountered:

      * Unable to forward this request at this time.

This request could not be forwarded to the origin server or to any
parent caches. The most likely cause for this error is that:

      * The cache administrator does not allow this cache to make direct
        connections to origin servers, and
      * All configured parent caches are currently unreachable.

In the cache_log I see the following (after increasing the appropriate
debug level):

fwdStart: 'http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/devel:80/plone/VirtualHostRoot/test.html'
fwdStartComplete: http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/devel:80/plone/VirtualHostRoot/test.html
fwdStartFail: http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/devel:80/plone/VirtualHostRoot/test.html
fwdFail: ERR_CANNOT_FORWARD "Service Unavailable"
        http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/devel:80/plone/VirtualHostRoot/test.html
fwdStateFree: 0x853c018

The client, squid and Zope are all running on the same host. When
I enter the above URL, which causes the error in squid, directly in
the browser, it works - i.e. I don't get "Service Unavailable".

When sniffing the network traffic between squid and Zope, there is
*NO* connection attempt from squid to Zope. So squid decides from its
own point of view, that the "Service is Unavailable".

There seems to be a problem with request forwarding in squid.
Can anyone help? My squid configuration is attached below.

Best regards
-Stefan-