Re: [squid-users] ESI request forwarding does not work?

From: Stefan Palme <kleiner@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:12:11 +0100

Solved.

This missing point was "always_direct allow all" (or at least an
explicit rule to allow direct access for forwarded requests).

Is this a bug? Isn't the default setting for "always_direct" to
allow all direct requests?

Best regards
-Stefan-

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 10:18 +0100, Stefan Palme wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a very simple ESI configuration using squid in front of
> a Zope server. Incoming client requests are rewritten using a
> redirector.
>
> When I submit a client request from a browser I get an error message
> from squid:

> While trying to retrieve the URL:
> http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/devel:80/plone/VirtualHostRoot/test.html
>
> The following error was encountered:
>
> * Unable to forward this request at this time.
>
> This request could not be forwarded to the origin server or to any
> parent caches. The most likely cause for this error is that:
>
> * The cache administrator does not allow this cache to make direct
> connections to origin servers, and
> * All configured parent caches are currently unreachable.
>

> In the cache_log I see the following (after increasing the appropriate
> debug level):
>

> fwdStart: 'http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/devel:80/plone/VirtualHostRoot/test.html'
> fwdStartComplete: http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/devel:80/plone/VirtualHostRoot/test.html
> fwdStartFail: http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/devel:80/plone/VirtualHostRoot/test.html
> fwdFail: ERR_CANNOT_FORWARD "Service Unavailable"
> http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/devel:80/plone/VirtualHostRoot/test.html
> fwdStateFree: 0x853c018
>

> The client, squid and Zope are all running on the same host. When
> I enter the above URL, which causes the error in squid, directly in
> the browser, it works - i.e. I don't get "Service Unavailable".
>
> When sniffing the network traffic between squid and Zope, there is
> *NO* connection attempt from squid to Zope. So squid decides from its
> own point of view, that the "Service is Unavailable".
>
> There seems to be a problem with request forwarding in squid.
> Can anyone help? My squid configuration is attached below.
>
> Best regards
> -Stefan-

Dipl. Inf. (FH) Stefan Palme

email: kleiner@hora-obscura.de
www:   http://hbci4java.kapott.org
icq:   36376278
phon:  +49 341 3910484
fax:   +49 1212 517956219
mobil: +49 178 3227887

key fingerprint: 1BA7 D217 36A1 534C A5AD  F18A E2D1 488A E904 F9EC