[squid-users] Odd behavior with transparent proxy

From: Brian Sheets <brians@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 06:33:25 -0800

I am running squid 2.5 on OSX, transparently using a Cisco 806 running
IOS 12.3(15)

The way I understand is that all port 80 traffic is intercepted by the
cisco, which issues an icmp redirect with my squid server's ip address

This in turn creates a temporary host route on the client machine which
then sends subsequent requests directly to the squid proxy.

So here is the problem. Several URL's I frequent respond to a http
request that the page has moved and gives a https url with the same
host.

Because my client machine has the host route, the new https request is
then sent to the squid server which in turn fails because 2.5 cannot
transparent proxy https requests.

I have worked around this by configuring my browser to use the squid
host as a https proxy, but this really defeats the purpose of
transparent proxy.

Do I have something configured incorrectly or have others experienced
this problem

Thanks

Brian