Re: [squid-users] Odd behavior with transparent proxy

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:18:07 +0100

(and I forgot)

On 09.01 06:33, Brian Sheets wrote:
> The way I understand is that all port 80 traffic is intercepted by the
> cisco, which issues an icmp redirect with my squid server's ip address
>
> This in turn creates a temporary host route on the client machine which
> then sends subsequent requests directly to the squid proxy.

this is bad - you will not be able to reach any other service of destination
machine...

> So here is the problem. Several URL's I frequent respond to a http
> request that the page has moved and gives a https url with the same
> host.
>
> Because my client machine has the host route, the new https request is
> then sent to the squid server which in turn fails because 2.5 cannot
> transparent proxy https requests.

... and here you encountered it. What you should do, is redirect all traffic
to port 80 to the proxy server from you router as to "next hop". in such
case, only port 80 traffic will go through the squid machine and you won't
have to play with routing.

"Where do you want to go to die?" [Microsoft]