Re: [squid-users] How big should be cache_dir ?

From: Martin Sevigny <sevigny@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:42:53 +0100

Hi,

Mark Elsen wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am planning to use Squid as an HTTP accelerator to benefit from its
>> great caching capabilities. It will be setup on a Windows 2003 server.
>>
>> Ideally, I would like to use a huge amount of disk space for caching
>> (the reason is I need to cache a very large amount of data long to
>> create and that almost never change). Something in the hundreds of
>> Gigabytes.

> The cache size should be about the amount of traffic for a week generated
> by your users. Oversized cache dirs will impose vast memory
> requirements (see FAQ).

I understand that. But I realized that for 100 000 entries in the cache,
it takes around 15MB of memory, under quite a heavy load (around 40 HTTP
request per second), which I will never have in the real environment.

I didn't think 15MB of RAM is excessive... But once again, if I have 10
times the number of entries, will I need 10 times the RAM?

My ultimate goal would be to keep the documents forever, or almost. But
without going over a disk space limit, and getting rid of leat recently
used documents...

I could add a temporary store function to the script used to create the
documents, but since squid and its cache can do the same thing...

Thank's for you answer,

Martin Sévigny