Re: [squid-users] solved: digest auth issue

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:58:33 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Mark Foster wrote:

> Just wanted to report back that we solved our
> digest-auth-through-http-accelerator problem. The culprit was a mismatch
> of the URI referenced in the Authorization: header. Everything starting
> at the third slash in the URL must match up between proxy and backend.

Depends a bit on the web server and it's configuration..

From RFC2617:

    digest-uri
      The URI from Request-URI of the Request-Line; duplicated here
      because proxies are allowed to change the Request-Line in transit.

and

    The authenticating server must assure that the resource designated by
    the "uri" directive is the same as the resource specified in the
    Request-Line; if they are not, the server SHOULD return a 400 Bad
    Request error. (Since this may be a symptom of an attack, server
    implementers may want to consider logging such errors.) The purpose
    of duplicating information from the request URL in this field is to
    deal with the possibility that an intermediate proxy may alter the
    client's Request-Line. This altered (but presumably semantically
    equivalent) request would not result in the same digest as that
    calculated by the client.

Which in other words means that your server should reject Digest
authentication on redirected requests UNLESS it is told by it's local
configuration that this redirection is OK.