Re: [squid-users] Squid on Freebsd 6

From: H <h@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:50:00 -0200

On Wednesday 18 January 2006 18:22, Edinilson J. Santos wrote:
> I can't understand what is missing to run Squid on a Freebsd 6.0 decently
> in a Dual PIII 750Mhz with 1gb RAM, 4 SCSI HDs with 18gb each.
> We have in the past a Freebsd 4.8 box running squid for months without big
> problems, but with Freebsd 6.0 we are being crazy.
> Squid runs well for 1 or 2 days and become very slow...
> I'm sending the configuration we are using here. Any idea or tip will be
> apreciated.

Hi
I guess that you have certain tweaks lots too hight for only 1GB of RAM and it
may cause this troubles for you. BTW which NICs you are using?

You may like to start over and compile your kernel with max_users not set and
all tweaks disabled, this here is valid for 6.0 or higher

You should not compile maxdsize in kernel but set it in loader.conf as

kern.maxdsiz="1073741824"

also do not compile HZ but set in loader.conf as

kern.hz="1000" or 2000

> kern.polling.enable=1
is deprecated and you must set it with ifconfig on interface level but check
first if your nick support it

even if it should not slow down you may try higher SHM settings, but I don't
know the traffic you have

on SMP kernel you probably try SCHED_ULE instead of 4BSD but I have no
experience on intel, on amd[64] smp we get significant performance boost

--
H.