Re: [squid-users] Can this be done ?

From: <trainier@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:10:44 -0500

Blacklists are not restricted to domains (at least SquidGuard's isn't).
Obviously that would be ineffective.
SquidGuard's regex matching works great, for one. And their URL blocking
is especially
effective with blocking sites that continue to register new domains to
evade bans (They're not all smart enough to change the directory structure
for the phishing/spyware kit they got.)

You are right though. We can argue all day about why it is/isn't
effective.

Tim

Christoph Haas <email@christoph-haas.de>
01/23/2006 03:40 PM

squid-users@squid-cache.org
cc

Subject

On Monday 23 January 2006 19:07, trainier@kalsec.com wrote:
> However, this does not belittle the effectiveness of redirectors. They
> work and they're reliable.

Redirectors in general work well. But whether blacklists are effective or
not is surely hard to decide and more a religion than a science. But
considering that in my country alone ~3000 new domains are registered
every day and some domains even contain multiple types of content which
belongs to different categories I can't imagine how a blacklist claims to
be even remotely effective. You should look at the more inventive users in

our organisation? Such a black list would be no obstacle.

Cheers
 Christoph

--
Never trust a system administrator who wears a tie and suit.