Re: [squid-users] Squid with SquidGuard

From: Mark Sansome <msansome@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:53:27 +0000

Mark Elsen wrote:

>>If I put the command
>>/usr/sbin/squid -NC
>>in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file it hangs the system on reboot!
>>

> You can not use it like that in rc.local, that way of SQUID starting is ment
>to be used from the command line, and intended for problem solving tasks.
>Use "squid -h" to understand the meaning of these flags
>For rc.local just use :
>
> _path_to_squid/squid
>
>afterwards, check cache.log , watchout for FATAL errors, if
>

>>I think it's something to do with the cache (/var/spool/squid).
>>

>Whatever caused it, the only remedy was to power off and reboot with a
>rescue disk & comment out the line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.
>

>>Interestingly, if I try the command /usr/sbin/squid on its own with no switches, the system starts OK but I get the same old error (WARNING: Cannot run '/usr/bin/squidGuard' process.) and squidGuard is not running.
>>
>>So what on earth is going on?
>>

> We need to re-iterate ;
>
> On the command line :
>
> # squid -NCd 1
>
>check whether this works, again.
>
>Then just put startup command in rc.local the way I explained.
>Check cache.log
>
>M.

Hi Mark, Hi List,

Sorry, I explained myself badly. I did put "/usr/sbin/squid -NC" in
rc.local at first which caused the crash. The next thing I did (after
restoring the system) was to read the -h comments (slap myself) and put
just the command "/usr/sbin/squid" in rc.local. As I point out above
(badly worded):

>>Interestingly, if I try the command /usr/sbin/squid on its own with no switches, the system starts OK but I >>get the same old error (WARNING: Cannot run '/usr/bin/squidGuard' process.) and squidGuard is not running.

without the -NC switches the command "/usr/sbin/squid" in rc.local
starts OK but does not start squidGuard - and gives exactly the same
errors in cache.log as I've been getting all along when starting squid
with "/sbin/service squid start".

The only thing that gives me hope is the fact that "/usr/sbin/squid -NCd
1" from the command line does in fact work (and I've just tried it again
to be sure!).

So. To be clear:
"/usr/sbin/squid -NCd 1" from the command line works just fine;
"/usr/sbin/squid" in /etc/rc.d/rc.local does not; and produces the same
error as
"/sbin/service squid start" from the command line.

Apologies for the confusion.

What next?

Thanks again (I *really* appreciate your help)

Mark