Re: [squid-users] Squid with SquidGuard

From: Mark Elsen <mark.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:55:01 +0100

> If I put the command
> /usr/sbin/squid -NC
> in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file it hangs the system on reboot!

   You can not use it like that in rc.local, that way of SQUID starting is ment
to be used from the command line, and intended for problem solving tasks.
Use "squid -h" to understand the meaning of these flags
For rc.local just use :

       _path_to_squid/squid

afterwards, check cache.log , watchout for FATAL errors, if

>I think it's something to do with the cache (/var/spool/squid).
Whatever caused it, the only remedy was to power off and reboot with a
rescue disk & comment out the line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

> Interestingly, if I try the command /usr/sbin/squid on its own with no switches, the system starts OK but I get the same old error (WARNING: Cannot run '/usr/bin/squidGuard' process.) and squidGuard is not running.
>
> So what on earth is going on?

 We need to re-iterate ;

 On the command line :

               # squid -NCd 1

check whether this works, again.

Then just put startup command in rc.local the way I explained.
Check cache.log

M.