Re: [squid-users] NAT on suse linux 10.0

From: Peter Albrecht <peter.albrecht@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:15:17 +0100

Hi Amit,

On Thursday 26 January 2006 05:33, amit ash wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made a new script file in "/etc/init.d" by the filename
> rc.ipmasq with the following script in it -
>
> #!/bin/sh
> IPTABLES=/sbin/iptables
> $IPTABLES -F -t nat
> $IPTABLES -A POSTROUTING -t nat -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
> -----

This is not the correct syntax for a start script. Please review the structure
of /etc/init.d/skeleton. Then modify the entries according your purpose (look
for the "FOO" entries which have to be replaced). Use other startup scripts
in /etc/init.d/ to learn about the structure and the use of these scripts.

> After this i ran the "insserv rc.ipmasq" command which gave no
> errors but still NAT wont work, it shows no output in the command
> "iptables -L -t nat" either. however it gives me this error msg
> when i type this command:-
> linux:~ # /etc/init.d/rc.ipmasq
> /etc/init.d/rc.ipmasq: line 2: IPTABLES: command not found
> /etc/init.d/rc.ipmasq: line 3: -F: command not found
> /etc/init.d/rc.ipmasq: line 4: -A: command not found
>
> I am unable to understand, why it wont accept this code.

Learn about the SUSE boot concept using "man init.d" and "man insserv" (maybe
also "man chkconfig"). To set your NAT rules, call the script with the
parameter "start", i.e. "/etc/init.d/rc.ipmasq start". But make sure that all
the NAT settings are defined in the start section of the script. This is
quite off-topic of this list.

Regards,

Peter

--