[squid-users] Blocked strings overriding permitted URL's

From: Palula Brasil <palula@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 08:28:34 -0200

Hi there everyone!

I'm having a problem regarding my squid configuration.
I read on the Visolve site that Squid reads the squid.conf line by line and
that when it encounters a blocking line, it blocks but passes on through
reading subsequent lines. And when it finds a line that matches a
permission, stops right away.

My problem is that, based on this, I wrote all of my blocking rules above
the permissive lines and all has been working fine util this problem I went
through yesterday. I have a file called bad_strings.acl wich has a lot of
words for squid to block (i.e. hacker, cracker, serialz, warez etc). And I
have a file of permitted URL's (permitted.acl) wich contains URL's that
should be Ok to access.

The problem is that I tried to access www.hackerwatch.org yesterday and the
hit was blocked. Anyway it should because hackerwatch has the string hacker
on the URL. So I added www.hackerwatch to the permitted.acl (remember that
squid reads all the blocking rules but passes on until it finds a positive)
and still the site is being blocked.

Can somebody help me out?
Thanks a lot!