RE: [squid-users] Performance problems - need some advice

From: Kinkie <kinkie-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 10:00:49 +0100

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 15:36 -0800, Gregori Parker wrote:
> I just deployed 3 squid servers in a similar configuration
> (reverse-proxy serving large media files)...except each server of ours
> is dual 3Ghz Xeon, 64-bit everything, 4GB RAM and around a TB each of
> dedicated cache space (aufs on ext2 with noatime option). They are
> running Squid 2.5 STABLE12 on Fedora Core 4 x86_64. Disk performance
> looks fine to me, but I'm concerned because top reports that squid is
> averaging 70% cpu usage most of the time.

That percentage also includes time spent in the kernel? Check your
overall system CPU usage stats for that.

> Can anyone recommend techniques for assessing squid performance? I
> have no good way of benchmarking our clusters since SNMP isnt ready
> quite yet. Please don't mention cache_mgr, thanks :)

top(1) is your friend. Compare the squid CPU usage with the time spent
within the kernel.
In some very busy systems I have built, Squid used up to 95% CPU, but
half that time was actually spent within the kernel doing network i/o,
poll(3) table scanning etc.

        Kinkie