[squid-users] Performance problems - need some advice

From: Jeremy Utley <jerutley@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 11:26:04 -0800

Hey all -

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I just set up my first squid
server, acting as a reverse http accel proxy for one of our clusters.
The cluster serves up WMV files, at approximately 1-4MB in size. We
currently have 2 cacheing servers sitting behind a Foundry ServerIron
load balancer, taking a sample of traffic (we're still for now letting
some traffic go direct to the webservers as well. The two machines
are both dual-processor, one has Athlon MPs at 1800MHz (as reported by
/proc/cpuinfo), the other using Opteron 242's at 1600MHz. Both
machines have 2GB of ram, and 6 18GB SCSI drives. One of the drives
is devoted to the OS, the other 5 are allocated to the squid cache.

The problem we're having is that the Squid servers aren't pushing as
much traffic as we would expect them to. Each of the machines is only
pushing about 100Mb thru 1Gb interfaces, while the apache servers
themselves push much more.

Looking for any configuration suggestions, tweaking, or anything else
that might help.

Thanks again,

Jeremy