Re: [squid-users] pop-up authentication window question

From: Schelstraete Bart <bart@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:44:47 +0100

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 12:20 +0100, Sándor Zsolt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I faced a strange problem after upgrading from squid-2.4.STABLE1 ->
> 2.5.STABLE12.
>
> I have authentication for all users, but there are a few sites which
> do not
> need authentication. For the authentication the conf file contains
> the
> followings:
>
> acl all src 0.0.0.0/255.255.255.255
> acl authenticate proxy_auth_regex \*
> acl PROXY src <the server IP address>/255.255.255.255
> acl noauth dstdomain "/usr/local/squid/etc/noauth_web.txt"
>
> http_access allow noauth
> http_access allow authenticate !PROXY
> http_access allow all
>
> The noauth_web.txt contains the web sites which don't need
> authentication.
>
> (The authentication goes well, and the sites, which don't need
> authentication,
> could be reached too without authentication through the login window.)
>
> My problem is: when the user logs in and calls for a site which
> doesn't need
> authentication the new squid pops up the login window, to reach the
> content
> of this site the user has to to click on the "cancel" button. In the
> old
> version of squid there was no pop up window if a site, listed in the
> noauth_web.txt file, was called. The content of the site was
> displayed
> directly.
>
> I tried to find out what could cause the problem, but can't.
>
> Could someone help me please, how to configure squid to eliminate the
> pop up
> window when it is not needed?

Hi,

This just means that the squid didnt match the site with the one from
the ACL.
Check in the access_log which url's that users is accessing when
connecting to that site.

I guess that the URL which the users tries to access is using some kind
of external link (banners, google ads, etc) which is not in your list.
That's why the user can press cancel and still can see the 'needed'
stuff

Schelstraete Bart
http://www.schelstraete.org
bart@schelstraete.org
12:42:48 up 3 days, 18:54, 3 users, load average: 0.23, 1.06, 1.62