Re: [squid-users] Problem with intercept squid and boinc

From: Mark Elsen <mark.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 18:34:29 +0100

> Hi,
> I have configured a squid httpd proxy cache in intercept/transparent mode.
>
> The problem I have is that the boinc client from setiathome have problem
> connecting to its server.

 - Is boinc configured to use a http proxy (I presume it is)
 - What are the messages displayed in it's messages window,
when the problems appear.
 - What's in squid's access.log for thes boinc requests ?
 - Anything further in cache.log

> If I disable squid interception, all works fine.

My usual anti-interception bible , not that one of the topics mentioned
my have bitten you :

 - Intercepting HTTP breaks TCP/IP standards because user agents
think they are talking directly to the origin server.
   - It causes path-MTU to fail. Possibly making the website not accessible.
   - As a result for instance on older IE versions ; "reload" did not
work as expected.
   - You can't use proxy authentication
   - You can't use IDENT lookups
   - Intercepting proxies are incompatible with IP filtering designed
to prevent address spoofing.
   - Clients are still expected to have full Internet DNS resolving
capabilities , when in certain Intranet/Firewalling setups , this
is not always wanted.
   - Related to above : because of transp. proxy setup : suppose a browser
connects to a site
which is down.HOWEVER , due to the transparant proxying setup. It gets
a connected state to the interceptor. The
end user may get wrong error messages or a browser, seemingly
doing nothing anymore.