RE: [squid-users] parent cache information

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:19:14 -0900

I started off with three caches (being used in round-robin fashion), but found that some (poorly written) SSL sites didn't like a connection that hopped between source IP addresses. We dumped another processor in one of the servers, started another Squid process on it and called it the parent. Now any single server can die without customer interruption*, but all of our traffic passes through one IP address. Plans have been in the works (for a really long time now) to make a single virtual server, but it is just not a high priority.

Chris

*Obviously if it's the parent that dies, we are back to IP-hopping connections, but that is more of an inconvenience than an outage.