[squid-users] Need help to improve squid performance

From: Raj <sunfire2005@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:56:09 +1100

Hi All,

I need your suggestions to improve the performance of our proxy
servers setup. we have 4 squid proxy servers running on Open BSD (HP
Vectra 600, PIII 700). Below is squid -v output

/opt/squid/sbin/squid -v
Squid Cache: Version 2.5.STABLE10
configure options: --prefix=/opt/squid --enable-auth=ntlm,basic
--enable-external-acl-helpers=wbinfo_group --localstatedir=/var/squid
--enable-snmp

We have two 1st tier proxies located on LAN and two 2nd tier proxies
located in the DMZ. 1st Tier uses NTLM via the the Samba WINBIND
process and 2nd tier with no authentication required.

Server A & Server C - 1st tier proxies
Server B & Server D - 2nd tier proxies

We have been having performance issues for a long time. I have
recommended them to buy Sun Fire V240 servers to replace these BSD
boxes. But they want to increase memory (from 256 MB to 2GB) on the
existing servers and see if that improves the performance.

Below is the current cache size on all 4 servers:

cache_dir ufs /var/squid/cache 400 16 256

On Server A & Server C we have the following config option on the
cache_peer line:

cache_peer ServerB parent 3128 3130 weight=15 no-query no-digest

cache_peer ServerD parent 3128 3130 weight=10 no-query no-digest

After I upgrade the memory I want to increase the cache_dir size to
2GB. Could someone suggest me if I need to change the cache_peer
options to improve the performance. I also have cache_mem value set to
64mb at the moment. Do I need to increase that after I upgrade the
memory. Any other help to improve the performance would be really
appreciated.

Thanks.