Re: [squid-users] Quick question about dynamic delay pools - current status

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:26:50 +0100

ons 2006-02-15 klockan 16:37 +0200 skrev laurentiu r:
> Hi everyone,
> Just a quick question about the dynamic delay pools. Apologies if it
> has been asked before - it must have been - but I've looked into the
> mail archives and didn't seem to find indication as to what's the
> current status in this matter.
>
> I saw that at some point there was a fuss on this list about a patch
> for making the delay pools 'dynamic', in the sense that a pool with
> high a traffic rate could borrow unused bandwidth from other delay
> pools. And some suggestions were made to developers (Henrik Nordstrom)
> to inlcude the patch in the official releases.
>
> Well, has it been included? Is it in the 2.5Stable12 version? If not,
> what's the way to go for those who need to enable dynamic delay pools
> in Squid?

It has not been included as no patch has been submitted by it's authors
to the Squid developers.

Note: Squid-2.5 is feature frozen, so to get included the patch needs to
be for Squid-3 (what will become Squid-3.0).

The delay pools in Squid-3 has been reworked quite a bit, but I am at
this stage not sure if a functionality similar to the dynamic delay
pools is available as I have not been involved in this part of Squid-3.
But you (or others) are very welcome to start playing with Squid-3 in
your labs to try out all the new cool features. Just don't do it on your
production servers as there still is a bit to go for a production
release of Squid-3.0.