Re: [squid-users] reading logs

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 21:36:14 +0100

On Friday 24 February 2006 18:24, Tomas Palfi wrote:
> That's a very good point, some people are faster than the others by
> nature, and some use more paper than the others :) But it still leaves
> me with the fact of how do I determine from the logs how long per day a
> person spent browsing the net?!

I need to repeat myself: you can't! Unless you install cameras at the desks
and monitor what the users do you can just use assumptions.

That's a similar question that "web marketing" people ask. How much time do
users spend on our web site. You just can't know. There is no "login" and
"logoff" on web sites. And web sites that actually contain a "logoff"
button have it as a fake or perhaps to clear cookie session information
for your own security. But that doesn't mean that you will know what a
user does. HTTP is stateless. A user requests a document. Squid delivers
the document. Job done.

Clear now?

 Christoph

--