[squid-users] squid and swf files

From: Gregori Parker <gregori@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:12:35 -0800

I've been getting reports of problems with squid and swf files. After
doing some testing, I found that a link like
http://my.squid.cache/directory/something.swf would work fine in Mozilla
but not in Internet Explorer - IE says something about downloading in
the status bar and then hangs for a long while. I researched this a
bit, and found reports that this issue can be fixed on Apache by
sticking "AddType application/x-shockwave-flash .swf" in the conf file.

I noticed that squid/etc/mime.conf as the following line:

\.swf$ application/x-shockwave-flash anthony-unknown.gif - image
+download

But then I read somewhere else that mime.conf only appies to ftp/gopher
and other non-http traffic...so,

Is there something I can do to make squid handle .swf files consistently
between browsers?