RE: [squid-users] Memory Error when using large acl files

From: Carsten Jensen <cj@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:34:35 +0100

Yes, well I didn't try the syntax for dstdomain other than the
dstdomain_regex which is the one making the error. At the moment
I'll be testing your suggestion, and it doesn't come out with an error.

Thanks for your help :-)

Best regards
Carsten Jensen

> Hello.
>
> I have this problem that I have a large file in which I have a lot of
> domainnames for which I want to block all. The file is around 9
> megs. I have other files also that's included, so the sum of the
> other files are around 6.5 megs, which I have no problems loading.
>
> the problem is that after taking around 300megs of memory, I get a
> lot of error messages saying :
>
> aclParseRegexList: Invalid regular expression 'domain.tld': out of
> memory

Are you saying that you are using a 9 Meg file in a regex related ACL?
That would be very bad, as Squid is not tuned for regular expression
matching. Look into either using dstdomain or an add-on like
SquidGuard, DansGuardian or Squirm.

> the only real information I could use (or not) was on this list,
> problem is that that information is from 2003, and contains some
> patches to some files since there have been many updates from then to
> now, I really don't feel like making changes to things I have no idea
> about. Besides, I'm not so good at patching etc. So you might
> consider me a newbie. My system : FreeBSD 5.4-Release-P8, Dual P3-750
> with 1 GB of Ram.
>
> I must say that when the error occurs, I have around 400megs of
> memory free.
>
> I apologize if there are information needed, please let me know if
> that happened.
>
> Best Regards Carsten Jensen

Chris