Re: [squid-users] FW: WCCP Problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 22:39:25 +0100

tis 2006-02-28 klockan 09:15 -0700 skrev Steve:

> It wants me to set "virtual_hostname", but will not recognize the
> virtual hostname I give it.

Squid asks for a visible_hostname, not a virtual one...

additionally it does not validate what you define there in any manner
and assumes that if you have set visible_hostname then you know what you
are doing and this is the hostname Suquid should assume..

> One bit of sanity...I've gotten it to run (on my networks) with DHCP
> supplying the IP address. However, when I try to configure squid
> with a STATIC address, I get the same failure message.

The visible_hostname error indicates the name of the server is not
registered properly in /etc/hosts and/or DNS. Both forward and reverse
mappings should be correct.