Re: [squid-users] squid Make; bug in Makefile?

From: Linda Walsh <squid-user@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 11:10:53 -0800

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> The perl scripts have recently been replaced by awk in Squid-3, but I
> forgot to make the awk scripts included in the tar ball (available in
> CVS however).
>
> Regards
> Henrik

---
	Funny -- I had gone through a little story in my head about how
the perl scripts were likely newer and the awk scripts were left over -- how
I actually remember using awk back before perl was around and how a switch
to perl was likely done to make the code easier to maintain as more people know
perl than an arcane utility like awk.  :-)
	Now I find it's just the opposite and go through the opposite rationalization
-- that moving to awk creates a smaller software requirement for someone wanting
to build squid (presuming they don't need to modify it).  I
don't know that I can do as good a job rationalizing the choice for a switch to
awk though.  Even though awk may be a smaller footprint for generation (build),
I not sure that benefit would outweigh the decrease in # of people who would
know how to modify it.  ??
	One "could" make a similar argument for using "C" vs. "C++", as "C" is
a 'lower common denominator" in terms of software tools and developer knowledge,
though such a change would affect alot more than "2" scripts. :-)
	I tried looking, BTW, for a pointer to the CVS sources, but wasn't able to
readily find a pointer to the CVS sources from the main site (and didn't know
about the "devel" site until after I'd started looking through the sources from
the tarball)...   Maybe I should try fixing that problem before looking too
deeply at other problem(s) I ran into...
Linda