Re: [squid-users] disabling use of If-Modified-Since

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 02:46:58 +0100

tor 2006-03-09 klockan 17:41 +0100 skrev Stefan Palme:

> , but this seems to have no effect. A client sending the
> "If-Modified-Since" header received a 304 (not modified) in some cases,
> so I guess the If-Modified-Since header has not been removed from the
> request.

Most likely it only gets removed from forwarded requests. Cache-hits
probably still accounts for the If-Modified-Since.

You should however never see any If-Modified-Since to the backend server
if you have blocked this header.

What is the reason you want to block If-Modified-Since? Most people
likes this as it cuts down on the bandwidth usage by not transmitting
objects the client already has..

> Does the header_access directive also affect requests being rewritten
> by a redirector process and sent to a cache_peer?

Yes. This directive sits just before headers are forwarded in either
direction.