[squid-users] squid-users@squid-cache.org

From: Jay Desjardins <jay.p.desjardins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:41:25 -0500

Good afternoon,

   I have been working on a new squid/Smart Filter/tproxy setup for our
campus and have run into a few problems. One is that I am using
squid-2.5-stable-9 because of SmartFilter (our campus wide filter) being
finicky on what version of squid that I am running. Another note is I
need to have Tproxy because the squid server is in between our users and
a packeteer, so I need for the packeteer to see the IP of the request so
users can be put into their own "bucket" for priority. The packeteer
won't transparent proxy, so I get all the same ip which means I can't
create different rules on the proxy server. That means I need to do some
work on the firewall to create "allow" all rules, this just complicates
things greatly.

   current setup = users -> firewall with tproxy -> packeteer -> squid
server with SmartFilter (which also defeats some of the rules in the
SmartFilter because of the same ip of the packeteer) -> firewall ->
Internet

   What I want to do = users -> squid/tproxy/smartfilter -> packeteer ->
firewall -> Internet
This way I can slim down the firewall rules for "allow all access" and
less lag going thru because it's more of a strait shot then a loop.

   I got this patch,
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-dev/200510/0161.htm and I
have tried to install it on my Red Hat EL4 server, to no avail. I found
myself having to manually install the patch, with it still producing
many errors (H and C files not matching up/incorrect syntax). It also is
using X-forward which I don't want to use.
   I would really like to get this running correctly, within the limits
I have (with only being able to run a few versions of squid).

Thank you,
Jay