Re: [squid-users] Transparent caching problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 23:22:06 +0100

tor 2006-03-16 klockan 12:46 -0800 skrev Kamel A. Baba:
> Thanks Henrik. That fixed my problem
> I have 1 more question though. Which would you say is more efficient:
> using the ip_wccp mod or the GRE interface. Any recommendation?

No noticeable difference in performance, but the ip_gre works better
with other subsystems of the kernel and is an officially supported Linux
component.

ip_gre also has the added benefit of being able to properly filter the
traffic if configured correctly (should be a point-to-point GRE tunnel
to your router, not a wildcard gre interface accepting GRE packets from
anywhere).

Meaning that if you use ip_gre then you know that what you are doing
will continue working with kernel upgrades for a forseeable future, and
that it will not get disturbed by other seemingly unrelated changes in
the Linux kernel, while if you use ip_wccp then there is no such
guarantees of any kind. Additionally if ip_gre is correctly configured
you know there is a reasonable security on what traffic your system
accepts, which can not be claimed with the ip_wccp module which blindly
accepts anything without asking and more or less forces you to do the
same.